Werner Wermeille, a maker of watch cases from La Chaux-de-Fonds, settled in Saint-Aubin in 1913 and officially founded a workshop for profile turning and cutting on 1 April 1914.
In 1934, Werner Wermeille’s son Marcel began work at the factory.
As of November 1943, the factory began making pendulum clocks for the SW brand (Schlunegger, Wermeille), which came onto the market as of 1944.
In 1945, the first Neuchâtel clocks bearing the “Le Castel” brand appeared.
In 1948, small clocks with an 8-day mechanical movement (platform escapement, calibre R76) were introduced.
At the end of 1987, Le Castel was bought by an independent watchmaking company.
Roger Wermeille took over the “La Castel” brand clock department on his own account, and early in 1999 created the company “Le Castel, Clock Makers of Neuchâtel”. The collection of “Le Castel” clocks – of which the first models were created 55 years previously – are created and presented in the modern, spacious building in Chez-le-Bart.